Are you a small business operator? Here’s a series of August events you do not want to miss.
Let’s face it: running a small business can be a steep learning curve. Ask any business owner and chances are they’ll have first-hand experience of the struggles of finding the time and skills to realise their business growth dreams.
That’s why the annual Small Business Festival – now in its 13th year – always draws big crowds (attracting some 27,000 attendees in 2017).
On from 1-31 August and promoted by Small Business Victoria, it’s a brilliant forum for bouncing ideas with experts, building industry connections and tapping the latest business trends. And it’s specifically tailored to help the 576,000-plus small businesses currently operating in Victoria, whether they’re solo entrepreneurs, new start-ups or businesses that have been around for years.
An A-list speaker line-up has been locked in for this year’s event including media personalities Ita Buttrose and Tracey Spicer; paralympic wheelchair tennis world champion Dylan Alcott; former Lonely Planet executive director Gus Balbontin; and Endota Spa founder Melanie Gleeson.
The 2018 themes focus on businesses from culturally-diverse backgrounds, export and trade, digital and technology and women in business. Plus there’s a social media boot camp, a seminar for ‘mumpreneurs’ working from home, and events touching on everything from e-commerce to globalisation.
Another point worth noting: given many small business owners are time poor, for those who can’t attend in person there’s a series of webinars, online presentations and podcasts.
So, come along, pick up some new skills, and make some valuable new contacts. Outcomes from previous events show two-thirds of participants changed their business practices after attending.
Top metro events from the Small Business Festival
- Women in Front Networking Lunch: Tracey Spicer AM, 2 Aug, Campellfield
- Entrepreneurs With Disability: A Secret To Business Success with Dylan Alcott, 2 Aug, Melbourne
- Commbank Innovation Garage, 1 – 28 Aug, Carlton
- Retail Therapy, Social Media Boot Camp, Reed Gift Fair, 5 Aug, South Wharf
- Mumpreneurs Work from Home Hustle: Making A Profit from Your Passion, Wed 8 Aug, Frankston
- Casey Cardinia Women’s Business Lunch: Live Your Best Life with Melanie Gleeson, 10 Aug, Pakenham
- 9 to Thrive, presented by Business Chicks, 24 Aug, Ascot Vale
- Flying Solo Live, 27 Aug, South Wharf
- 3 Ways Tech Can Grow Your Business, presented by Square, Xero and BigCommerce, 31 Aug, Melbourne
Top regional events from the Small Business Festival
- Resilience: Why It’s Crucial For Business Success with Ita Buttrose, 1 Aug, Geelong
- Adapt For The Competitive Edge With Gus Balbontin, 7 – 9 Aug, across Gippsland
- Getting Into Business For Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People, 9 – 24 Aug, all across Victoria
- Growing Global, Presented by Australia Post, across regional Victoria throughout August
Browse the full program and book tickets via the Small Business Festival website.